Ronald C. Fox con Affirmative Psychotherapy with Bisexual Women and Bisexual Men
Learn the latest practical—and bisexually affirmative—approaches to helping bisexual clients
Clinical work with bisexual clients has conceptually shifted beyond the exclusive emphasis on either straight or lesbian and gay issues. There are still, however, too few psychotherapists who provide affirmative psychotherapy specific to bisexual concerns. Affirmative Psychotherapy with Bisexual Women and Bisexual Men addresses the issues of bisexuals with an accepting and affirmative perspective, providing therapists with the latest viewpoints, strategies, and research to effectively treat bisexual clients. Leading authorities with affirmative-to-bisexuals perspectives discuss problems specific to bisexuals and their lifestyles, with an eye toward providing practical, effective therapy. Unique bisexual lifestyle concerns are examined, such as transgender issues, polyamory, older bisexual women and men, and cultural differences, while providing an emphasis on cultivating well-being and a sense of community in bisexual clients.
Affirmative Psychotherapy with Bisexual Women and Bisexual Men sensitively avoids the double standard long held by therapists clinically treating heterosexual or lesbian and gay individuals, showing that an affirmative viewpoint is valid and crucial for the effective treatment of bisexuals. This source clearly explains practical strategies and discusses the latest research on bisexual issues such as age, culture, heterosexual and bisexual mixed couples, and the polyamorous lifestyle with appropriate acceptance and understanding. The book also explores useful ways to develop successful health and support services specific to bisexual needs.
Topics in Affirmative Psychotherapy with Bisexual Women and Bisexual Men include:
- affirmative psychotherapy techniques specific to bisexual women and bisexual men
- need for validation of bisexuality
- ways for clients to come to terms with their bisexuality
- practical value—and shortcomings—of the main therapeutic schools in providing effective psychotherapy
- transgender bisexuality, with illustrative case studies
- needs and issues of African-American bisexual clients
- bisexual aging issues
- counseling heterosexual spouses of bisexual women and men
- therapy approaches for clients who are bisexual and polyamorous
- recognizing and addressing the specific needs of different sub-groups of bisexual people
- and more!